> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM, bkline <bob.u...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 18, 5:25 pm, Andre Terra <andrete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Really?  It would be better if I went back to the days where we all
> > built everything from the source?  Do all Django users running on
> > Linux (which I assume is the platform for the majority of
> > installations) build all the software on their servers and handle all
> > of the dependencies by hand?
>
> nope. I, for one, use pip for the package management related to django
> (and python).

Like I said, installing python-django isn't canonical, but no body said it's
inherently wrong.

It's standard practice among the Python community to install and manage
packages through either pip, easy_install or other python tools. Creating
isolated virtual environments with custom PYTHONPATHs is very common as
well.

Having said that, I wonder why [1] i'm still finding Django 1.2 as the
shipped version for the Debian's stable release. Are you running wheezy by
any chance?

Regards,
AT

[1] http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/python-django