Glad you got it figured out, after all!

Unfortunately, the django book is indeed lacking a serious update. The
official docs are still the go-to place for learning how to use django.

Users in this list have been active in writing new pages to the official
Wiki, but there's also a huge void in terms of how-tos and tutorials on that
media.

For now, what I will recommend is that you ask around in #django (
irc.freenode.net), here on django-users and on Stack Overflow (SO). FWIW, I
think SO is flooded with questions about third-party apps, so I don't go
there often to answer questions, as I have virtually no experience in said
apps.

However, if the questions you post to this list come with the right tone and
a decent explanation of the issues you are encountering, most of us will be
glad to jump in and lend a hand.

Sincerely,
André Terra