On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 4:52 AM, ydjango <traderash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think?
>
> http://www.cringely.com/2011/10/the-second-coming-of-java/
>
> "When SSDs gain enough capacity there will be a shift from the Ruby
> world back to the Java world. Not for prototyping, because, well, it’s
> prototyping. But simply because the statement “Ruby is incredibly slow
> but I don’t care because my database is slower” will no longer be
> true. At that point Ruby (Python, Groovy, you name it) becomes the
> bottleneck." - from the above article

There are so many mistakes and misunderstandings in that article, it's
difficult to know where to start.

Some indications that he doesn't know what he's talking about:

 * He says "you can replace Ruby with Python, Django or Groovy". So
he's unclear on the difference between a programming language and a
web framework.

 * "Ruby has nothing on Perl". 'Nuff said.

 * "Ruby is already migrating to that JRuby (sic)"... Only for a very
specific (and incorrect) interpretation of "migrating".

 * He makes no mention of the fact that developer time is much more
expensive than server hardware.

 * He appears to be unaware of projects like V8, PyPy, or any of the
other examples of virtual machines for interpreted languages.

Move along; nothing to see here.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)