I would use Linode VPS. Used WebFaction before however I quickly run
into a wall where server was running out of resources when attempting
to run 3-4 django sites from one account --- so skip the training
wheels and go VPS.

Linode has an unbeatable help center - http://library.linode.com/ and
great customer service. Use this link please if you do sign up with
them, I'll get a small kick back :)
http://www.linode.com/?r=7d884fa5262b62b8735502da003fee34061db49b

Be VERY careful of other VPS providers as not all are equal - you pay
for what you get. Linode runs on XEN virtualization (very close to
hardware) in which for one you can create a swap space. Burst.net
which we also tried runs on OpenVZ (a super chroot like enviroment)
does not allow swap space; this means you sites will be killed if it
exceeds you memory limits, unacceptable and too unpredictable.

Also I would strongly suggest stick to a simple setup, Sqlite3 +
Apache (on instance both for django and static serving). In my
experience majority of sites will be happy with that site and you will
KNOW when you need to a more complex setup. Sqlite3 is solid for read
operations, and only starts choking on a large parallel write
requests, Apache is tried and true and just works, NGINX sounds great
but why complicate things for some therotical speed gains; most your
bottle necks will be in your code not the server. There is only one
project that I have considered using something else the Sqlite3  with
over 600 active users; over the 2 years the site did not once generate
a Sqlite3 write time out error or performed poorly. Lastly Sqlite3
makes it is a zip to copy from development server to live server since
the database is a file.

Our development is a mirror copy of the live server. So deployment is
a matter of copying the site to live server and switching to live
mode; also all of the projects are as self contained as possible with
PIP, keeping settings files and raw media files with project folder.

Sample apache conf and wsgi files - http://dpaste.com/726790/,
http://dpaste.com/726792/.

Daniel Sokolowski
webdesign.danols.com