Oliver Andrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/20/06, John DeRosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> How'd you do it?
>>
>> I'm on Windows XP.  I installed Python 2.5 from python.org without a
>> problem.
>>
>> But then I found that pysqlite Windows binaries for Python 2.5 don't
>> exist, and neither does setuptools.  Trying to install Django 0.95 on
>> top of Python 2.5 gives me this:
>
> I am running Django and Python on Mac OS X, but the situation was
> almost identical. I downloaded the ZIP Version of setuptools from
> cheeseshop.python.org and did a "python setup.py install". The same
> for MySQLdb.
>
> Afterwards the install of Django worked fine and without errors.
>
> And for pysqlite, I think you can just stick to Python 2.5. It
> includes the relevant library. May be a small patch to the Django
> sqlite backend is required, but this is something I have to check
> later.

Thanks Oliver.  I did as you suggest with setuptools, and it installed
properly, and I then installed Django.  Super!

But I do seem to need pysqlite.  Even though the 2.5 documentation says
that pysqlite has been added as "sqlite3", I get this when I try to
start up Django 0.95:

---------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\Documents and Settings\John\My
Documents\tm\SVN\trunk\src\webcode\initial_data_load.py", line 3, in
<module>
     from webcode.edmonds.models import IS_Category
   File "C:\Documents and Settings\John\My
Documents\tm\SVN\trunk\src\webcode\edmonds\models.py", line 1, in <module>
     from django.db import models
   File
"c:\python25\lib\site-packages\Django-0.95-py2.5.egg\django\db\__init__.py",
line 11, in <module>
     backend = __import__('django.db.backends.%s.base' %
settings.DATABASE_ENGINE, '', '', [''])
   File
"c:\python25\lib\site-packages\Django-0.95-py2.5.egg\django\db\backends\sqlite3\base.py",

line 10, in <module>
     raise ImproperlyConfigured, "Error loading pysqlite2 module: %s" % e
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading pysqlite2
module: No module named pysqlite2
---------------------

The code in db\backends\sqlite3\base.py does this:

--------
try:
     from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as Database
except ImportError, e:
     from django.core.exceptions import ImproperlyConfigured
     raise ImproperlyConfigured, "Error loading pysqlite2 module: %s" % e
--------

It seems a little screwy for a file in a directory called "sqlite3" to
do an import from "pysqlite2".  But that's what it does.

Something's confused here with pysqlite, pysqlite2, pysqlite3... I've
about reached my time limit on this experiment, so I'm going to revert
to Python 2.4.  :-(

Thanks again.

John