Hi Brad,

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:07 -0700, brad wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to build a view to lookup a model field and return
> an array based on the data sent to the view. The goal is to send the
> contents of the "value" tag in an html select statement( i.e. in
> <option value=SOME_VALUE>OPTION</option> to send the SOME_VALUE part)
> to a Django view with a Dojo request call, have the Django view build
> an array based on SOME_VALUE, and ultimately send the array back
> through "return HttpResponse(array). So far I understand how to send
> the contents of the "value" tag and how to send the array back through
> the "return" statement. However, I do not know how to build the array.
> Belowe I posted a segment of my "models.py", and in it you can see that
> I will want to populate the array with valus from the model field
> "name" in the class Game. I want to use SOME_VALUE to filter out the
> rows in the field "name" that have name.id == SOME_VALUE. Any thoughts
> on how I may accomplish this? Thank you in advanced for any help that I
> may receive. Here's what I have so far:

I'm still a little confused about what you are wanting to do here. My
problem is that there is nothing called "name.id" in your models. The
Game model has a name field that will be a text string. Each Game model
will also have an implicit primary key field called "id". So there is
nothing called "name.id" and filtering on "game.id" will only ever
return a single record (or possibly nothing), since the "id" field is
unique.

Can you provide an example of the behaviour you are looking for?
Something along the lines of "if I have these Game instances and I send
this value, I want to receive this thing back". Then we should be able
to help you. You seem to have solved all the parts that are normally
difficult; extracting the right information from your model should be
straightforward.

Regards,
Malcolm