Thanks Xavier,

I had this at the top of my settings.py file, tried changing it to latin-1
and it didn't make a difference.

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

So right now I am using the UTF-8 database as shown above: mandala   |
postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

The data contains special characters, french accents mainly and they seem
to reside in the database and display just fine. By importing the csv files
and letting the new django postgres schema accept it, I have had a very
clean migration process, you can say I did it by hand because postgres COPY
alerted me when the data was bad and I had to change it.

Lets put the database aside for a second, I also have some error messages
with accents in them, and they give me the error below as before it worked
just fine.

messages.error(request, "Sé")

And now:

Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file
/var/web/mandala_env/mandala/alarms/views.py on line 329, but no encoding
declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
(views.py, line 329

But this makes no sense because I do have encoding declared in settings.py
right near the top, and this must have worked before when using MySQL -> #
-*- coding: utf-8 -*-