You should really decouple yourself from the distro's choices, saving
headaches in the future.  Let me expand on Avraham's suggestion.

There is little difficulty in having more than one version of python on a
box.  The main caution here is that the distrio's use of python might
depend on that python being a 2.6.  That means that (ignoring PATH
modifications and use of virtualenvs) that typing "python" should get you a
2.6..  If your distro offers a 2.7 package, it is probably built so that
"python" gets you a 2.6, and "python2.7" gets you a 2.7, and the distor's
python based tools will continue to work (as) fine (as they ever did).

But I don't recommend using a distro 2.7 package, even if available.  You
become subject to them doing something bizarre in an update.  You have much
better control if you build it yourself.  Avoiding replacing what you get
when you type "python" is easy enough:  instead of "make install" use "make
altinstall", which does everything except "ln python2.7 python".  Another
approach, used where I work, is to set the install path to a directory not
included in the default PATH setting, but then you can't simply type
"python2.7" (at least as root) to get a 2.7, or, more to the point, you
have to give a full path to virtualenv's -p flag.  It takes some fiddling
(last time I did this) to be certain that you have all the necessary
development libraries (-devel on RPM based systems), since, for some,
python will still build, but some features won't be available.  You may not
care about some of them now (readline support is a case in point) but they
don't hurt anything, and it's better than rebuilding later.  Document what
you had to add for future reference.

Another requirement, if you are using mod_wsgi, is to re-link it against
your python.  A given httpd - mod_wsgi install can only use one version.of
python.  This, in practice, means building your own mod_wsgi, rather than
using a distro version.  And if you're going this far, you may as well take
full control by building Apache httpd as well, though, so long as a
suitable development package is available, you may not need to..  It's not
as big a deal as it may sound.

If you're not using httpd/mod_wsgi, I can't offer any advice on what may be
required, since I haven't done my own installs of ngnx, etc.

Bill

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAB%2BAj0tuT-LKMiKgHHCPM6CuhURFawsoXw30bNhERVaNJvnn%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.