On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>
wrote:

> Maybe ... some effort to solve the infrastructure issue would make it
> worth kickstarter funding.
>
> A couple of colleagues are pushing me towards Docker as a packaged Python
> 3.4 environment but that is beyond my interest atm.
>
> I am running a dedicated production server on Ubuntu 14.04 which more or
> less forces me to stick with Python 2.7. I would like to move to Python 3.x
> using virtualenv but I don't want to mess with stuff which is working.
>
> Maybe a really nice solution would be a kickstarter project to develop a
> deployment tool to create a predictable, supportable modern environment on
> "old" boxes and to vaccuum up the existing Django sites running on bare
> metal.
>
> In my case, Ubuntu does support Python 3.4 (I think) so the virtualenv
> approach would be covered by standard Ubuntu support. I have only glanced
> at Docker so I don't know how valid that might be.

Docker isn't needed for any of this, especially on Ubuntu 14.04. Python 2
and Python 3 can co-exist, and Python3.4 is part of the standard repo for
Ubuntu 14.04. Even if it wasn't, you could install Python to a user-space
directory, and create a virtualenv based on *that* version of Python.

However, in a broader sense, I think you'll find that the audience of
people who need this tool are almost by definition the set of people who
wouldn't be able to use it.

If a company is locked into Python 2.6, it's because they're on a
Enterprise Supported Version (tm) of some operating system; in that sort of
environment, installing and using *anything* that isn't provided by the
vendor is a non-starter. Even if a tool *was* developed, you'd need to get
it deployed in-channel - and that could take years... or you could just
upgrade your system :-)

FWIW: This is the exact type of problem that RedHat software collections
are designed to fix - RHEL wore a lot of flack for being so pathologically
behind the times (the Python interpreter being one key component). RedHat's
response has been to introduce software collections - an officially
mandated set of tools that can be updated much more regularly, official
blessed by the manufacturer.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Software_Collections/

Obviously, this won't help if you're not on RHEL6 or 7 - but it's an
indication that some enterprise vendors are listening.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAJxq848g%2BUavE0giY2cogrh%3DwY2OzxbeHX9Bv0_SXFD0v0L0oQ%40mail.gmail.com.