On 06/11/06, Carlos Yoder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello people, I have a question for you.
>
> I've been developing (in my head) a multilang, multisite, multiuser
> blog application, that -at least for me- sounds like a very cool idea.
> On to the details:
>
> The project is actually a group of sister websites dealing with a
> common subject, localised for different languages/cultures. It's
> centered around the old "you learn a thing a day" saying, so Authors
> would be able to post the thing they learned that day on a -usually
> small- post. Of course, they would have to be able to post in many
> different languages (initially either English, Slovenian or Spanish).
>
> As to URLs, I'd need to support at least the following three schemes:
>
>  * Language codes mapped to directories (http://maindomain.com/en/ and
> http://maindomain.com/sl/ and  http://maindomain.com/es/)
>  * Language codes mapped to subdomains (http://en.maindomain.com/ and
> http://sl.maindomain.com/ and http://es.maindomain.com)
>  * Completely different starting URLs (http://athingaday.com/ and
> http://nekajnovega.com and httpd://algonuevo.com/
>
> As to the post themselves, each different version would have to be
> aware of its 'sister' posts in other languages, but that's already a
> template thing I believe.
>
> It goes without saying that these multiple localised versions would
> have to get data off a single database.
>
> OK, enough details for now, we all have work to do :-)
>
> Anyway, I thought about the "sites" app on Django, but never used it
> and I'm at a loss. I must admit I first too a look at Polyglot, a
> plugin for Wordpress, but I really want to stay away from PHP and do
> things right.
>
> Could anyone help me a bit on how to approach this? Thanks a million,
> and best regards,

I personally know nothing about this. But I will give you some links
to get started (in order of importance):

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/i18n/
http://trac.studioquattro.biz/djangoutils/wiki/TranslationService
http://trac.studioquattro.biz/djangoutils

That might give you a some general ideas.

--
http://grimboy.co.uk