Hi Derek,
but I have never seen anyone refer to it as a "lightweight" project (before
you, that is).
I didn't meant "Django is lightweight" but "Django can be lightweight", implied
you configure it accordingly.

Of course, leaving in place the ORM, the session management, the authentication
system, the various protections (CORS, CRSF,...) and all the other middlewares
configured in the default settings can seem overkill if the need boils down to
a basic HTML form for uploading some file and used on a local network. But even
if you leave them in place, is it really a problem ? They will be there, but
their code will not kick in. So why bother ? Maybe some code will still be
activated without a real need, but the overhead is ridiculous in front of the
network time, especially if file upload is involved. The problem described by
the OP does not seem to be related to a heavy traffic commercial app. So who
cares with these extra unneeded code being executed ? What really matters is :
"will the job be done ?".

Having used myself several frameworks (starting from Tornado down to Bottle and
including Flask to name a few) in real world projects, when coming to writing
the views (or request handlers, route functions,... depending on the FW
terminology) I never felt that one of them was simpler or lighter than the
others on that point, or even superior.

I agree that what could be added in Django documentation is a section
explaining how to strip its default application setting down to the minimal
stuff for equating solutions such as Flask, Tornado et al. Maybe it could also
help having the project creation tool include options to select among different
scenarios (default like the current one, minimal Web app without ORM,...).
Newcomers could then adopt Django for their basic projects without fearing
about this lightweight-ness issue, but being confident that they will be able
to kick in other features (e.g. the ORM, which is the big chunk of Django,
probably at the origin of the lightweight-ness question) as their future
projects will require. The net benefit is that they will not have to switch
from one FW to another one depending on the project, which means investing in
several learning curves, being able to switch between their respective
paradigms... and fixing errors coming from confusing things belonging to the
different FW they work with 😊

Just my $0.2 😉

Best

Eric