gunicorn is yielding the same error as the standard python command I gave
you,
whereas you use python3 to fire up the django development server. I'll
venture
a guess and say the problem is due to the environment.

Are you using any virtual environment or installing system wide?
How did you install django?
How did you install gunicorn?
Did you use pip?
Do you have a pip3?
Does "pip --version" and "pip3 --version" yield different results?

If you answered yes to the last 3 questions, try removing gunicorn using pip
and installing it using pip3.