Thank-you for your reply.  It gives me more food for thought.
I still do not know why it works perfectly in the django development
mode, and works half the time with apache2 prefork,
and works all the time with apache2 mpm-worker.

I wonder if apache prefork reloads modules (maybe psycopg2) that I am
not aware of and that causes the pickling of the object not to work?

If anyone has any more specific encounters with this, please let me
know.