I haven't got a lot to go on, output-wise; here's what I ran:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] intl]$ python manage.py dumpdata fuel >
fuel.tmp
Unable to serialize database: Decimal("0.00") is not JSON serializable

And trying a different format, a different error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] intl]$ python manage.py dumpdata --format xml
fuel > fuel.xml
Unable to serialize database: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in
position 13: ordinal not in range(128)

The fuel.tmp file contains "None\n".

The second reply asked "Why switch?" There's no smoking gun or nasty
occurrence, but we're switching some applications from Oracle to open-
source databases and are trying several. Because we need to interact
both via Django applications and via direct SQL, we have been finding
it much easier to shoot ourselves in the feet when we neglect to use
the InnoDB storage engine and thus have no foreign-key-constraint
enforcement. It also seems like Django authors (in The Book at least)
favor PostgreSQL.