On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 07:45 -0700, Ilya Semenov wrote:
> Malcolm,
>
> I traced the problem and submitted the patch, see details at
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4650
> I'm not completely sure about the logic of signals though, the change
> may affect some middleware depending on it.

Thanks, Ilya. I'd gotten that far, too. Unfortunately, though, it isn't
quite that easy. Well, it is that easy for mod_python, however for WSGI
compliance, we can't do that (since the WSGI handler returns an
iterable).

There are a few possibilities I've been bouncing around, but they all
have downsides: introducing greater coupling between templates, HTTP and
database so that we know when rendering stops (which will make it
possible to behave similarly to the modpython case) or making WSGI
return a single item iterable as recommended in PEP 333 for performance
(downside is that the greater part of the memory savings are lost).

For portability reasons, supporting WSGI is very important, so any
solution that only works with modpython is unfortunately not an option.

Regards,
Malcolm