There's some big questions in there. Maybe you should stick to one for now
and then get follow up on the details if you decide on Django: Python and
Django vs Java and some enterprise framework.
I use Java for my main project and also looked at Seam and JBPM. My day
project is limited to Java for a variety of reasons but I've been using
Django for smaller projects for myself and friends. If I could move work
over to Python and Django I'd do it in a heartbeat. I feel like each new
Java framework attempts to hide complexity but ends up hiding capability and
introducing new compatibility issues. I've taken a new approach at work by
striping away as many frameworks as I can and slowly adding only what is
needed.

With Python and Django I feel closer to the code and have as much capability
as I need. There is also a lot less code to deal with.

Also, don't forget Java's compile and deploy cycle compared to Django much
faster turnaround. This become especially noticeable if you start using Ajax
techniques. I could probably rewrite my project in Django in the spare time
I have waiting for