I thought I needed multiple Apache's since I frequently have several
concurrent requests. The actual dynamic python processing is quick,
but since clients could be connected for relatively long (slow
connections, etc), I thought I'd need multiple Apache's talking to
each. Since Django says it's not officially thread safe, I'm using the
prefork MPM in Apache.

I looked at mod_wsgi and decided to try fastcgi since the Django docs
explicitly support it. But, given my problems perhaps I'll try
mod_wsgi next.