Keith:

If you want to take your first steps learning Django without
installing it, I work on a tutorial in my spare time called Instant
Django:

http://www.instantdjango.com

It includes a download that contains a portable Django environment
that runs under Windows, no installation required, and uses the Django
development server and sqlite. It will even from from a USB thumb
drive. There is also a simple tutorial, which takes you through the
steps in creating a very rudimentary Django project.

Of course, part of learning Django is learning how to install and
deploy it, but in my opinion installation shouldn't be the first thing
you need learn.

It needs to be updated, but it should work for your purposes. As soon
as I can find the time I will finish the second chapter of the
tutorial, but I am now working between 60 and 80 hours a week at my
"day job", which has nothing to do with computers or programming, and
my wife is pregnant and due in two weeks, so it may be a while before
I get to it.

Anyway, good luck learning Django!
-cjlesh