On 18 Jan 07:16, Tim Chase wrote:

> >> The trick: Debian redirects django-admin.py to django-admin. And, as
> >> Forest Bond points out, django-admin is in a shell-executable path.
> >
> > Yup - because debian policy dictates that things in /usr/bin should
> > *not* have an extension telling you which language they're implemented
> > in (*waves* as the debian python-django maintainer...)
>
> With no offense intended towards Brett, Debian's release schedule
> is so slow that even if Brett built nightly packages from Trunk,
> they would trickle into Stable and Testing at a snail's-pace.

Raphael generally creates packages following svn at rough milestones
(like when there's something he wants to use) and puts them in
experimental, so it should be possible to track a "fairly" recent
experimental upload. Current version there is svn r6996, which appears
to have been uploaded by Gustavo... so there are users of the
experimental packages :) (At the end of the day, it's down to
preferences... I like running packaged software, and stable releases -
my django work is still mostly against a 0.96 tree...)

> My solution for easy Django installation on Debian is to
>
>   apt-get install subversion
>   svn co http://code.djangoproject.com/...
>
> It comes with the added benefit of giving you Subversion on your
> local machine so you can version-control your own code too ;)

I tend to use git for that ;) (and then git-svn to track django, too -
but then I appear to have 99% of version control systems installed on my
machines :/)

> You just have to ensure that your $PYTHONPATH points to wherever
> Django ends up.  Given that I have several branches of Django
> installed at any given time, that's also a nice way to switch
> between them for testing.

That's the better reasoning for not using the packaged version, if
you're supporting multiple different sites against different versions of
django.

Cheers :)
--
Brett Parker