>> The trick: Debian redirects django-admin.py to django-admin. And, as
>> Forest Bond points out, django-admin is in a shell-executable path.
>
> Yup - because debian policy dictates that things in /usr/bin should
> *not* have an extension telling you which language they're implemented
> in (*waves* as the debian python-django maintainer...)

With no offense intended towards Brett, Debian's release schedule
is so slow that even if Brett built nightly packages from Trunk,
they would trickle into Stable and Testing at a snail's-pace.

My solution for easy Django installation on Debian is to

  apt-get install subversion
  svn co http://code.djangoproject.com/...

It comes with the added benefit of giving you Subversion on your
local machine so you can version-control your own code too ;)

You just have to ensure that your $PYTHONPATH points to wherever
Django ends up.  Given that I have several branches of Django
installed at any given time, that's also a nice way to switch
between them for testing.

-tim