Hi, Russell!

On Jun 18, 8:48 pm, "Russell Keith-Magee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Lets be clear here - the problem you are describing is fundamentally
> MySQL's problem, not Django's. MySQL doesn't interpret the standard
> right, and doesn't provide for an easy workaround. There isn't much
> Django can do in this case. This is an example of what Tim was talking
> about - MySQL is still adding features and fixing problems with their
> SQL implementation.
>
> If you choose a piece of infrastructure, you have to accept the
> limitations of that infrastructure. Any database backend will have
> strengths and weaknesses; the fixture loading problem is one of
> MySQL's limitations.

Absolutely.  I am not pointing fingers, but throwing my two cents into
the answer to "Why PostgresSQL?"  I think, given the current state of
MySQL, the problems I outlined are very strong arguments for using
postgres instead of mysql when choosing Django.  I just wish that,
when I first made the Django choice, that I had made the jump to
postgres then.  If I came off sounding accusatory, please forgive me,
it was not my intent.

> Ordering tables is a partial solution, but it won't work in the
> general case. However, something would be better than nothing, and
> there is something to be said for making serialized output ordered for
> purely aesthetic reasons.

In particular, it won't help at all with circular references.  Also,
with circular references in mysql, you need to allow your foreign keys
to be null so that you can save the records and then update them.
Yuck.  I guess any general purpose app needing circular references
would need to do so to support mysql.  But, dumping referenced tables
first would go a long way to solving many mysql user issues with
dumpdata.

> If someone (cough cough... hint hint) were to submit a patch to
> implement table ordering on serialized output, I'd have no problem
> committing such a patch.

Hmm.... hint taken.  I'll start to look at it in my "spare time"...
maybe things will cool down at work in a month or two (seriously, I'm
swamped right now).  In the mean time, should I submit a ticket?

Also, I wasn't knocking django-evolution, just the opposite.  I want
to use it!  The ability to use evolution in all its glory is a very
strong reason to prefer postgres.  Yes, I read the faq, and it is one
of the main reasons I am making the switch to postgres.

If you like, I change my statement from "Django doesn't really support
all backends equally" to "not all backends support Django equally".
The only point I really want to make is that if you're serious about
Django, you are best served, for very practical reasons, choosing
postgres for your db, and I wish I had gotten that advice strongly and
early in the game.

Thanks for all your great work!  Sorry if I sound whiny, I'm just
feeling sorry for myself with all the work I've made for myself not
choosing postgres from the get-go.

Wayne