Hi, sorry for what is probably a trivial question, but I'm new to
Django and a little fuzzy on databases in general, so I hope someone
here can help.  Just to keep the motif, I'll frame my question in
terms of journalism.

I'd like to set up a database with the following relationships:  a
model of articles and a model of journalists.  That's easy enough.
Because one article can have multiple journalists associated with it,
that's a ManyToMany relationship:

class Journalist(models.Model):
  pass

class Article(models.Model):
  journalists = models.ManyToManyField(Journalist)

Simple, but that's not what I happen to want.  What I really want in
my application is to know the *status* of a journalist with respect to
an article.  That status could be, let's say, one of four things:
["Unafilliated", "CurrentlyWriting", "DoneWriting", "Dead"].

Coming from a Python background, I might just call this a dictionary
of statuses, with Journalists being the keys, and each entry
containing one of four values:

class Article(models.Model):
  status = { "Bob Ryan" : "CurrentlyWriting",
                 "Rob Bradford" : "Unaffiliated",
                 "Peter Gammons" : "DoneWriting",
                 "Dan Shaughnessy" : "Dead"}

Ok, Shaughnessy isn't dead, but if you lived in Boston, you'd
understand.  Anyway, a dictionary is nice and all, but then the
information isn't in the database, and that's the whole point.

Can anyone tell me what this relationship is called and how to do it
in Django?

Thanks!