I dunno what's different, but I seem to have it working today.  Maybe
I didn't restart Apache (I can be prone to dumb mistakes).  Here's the
final httpd.conf:

<Location "/">
    SetHandler python-program
    PythonPath "['C:/django-projects'] + sys.path"
    PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
    SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE mainproject.settings
    PythonInterpreter mainproject
    PythonDebug Off
</Location>

<Location "/testproject/">
    SetHandler python-program
    PythonPath "['C:/django-projects'] + sys.path"
    PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
    SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE testproject.settings
    PythonInterpreter testproject
    PythonDebug On
</Location>

<Location "/admin-media/">
    SetHandler None
</Location>

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys!  Sorry for the false
alarm :-)

-C