Matt,

I feel your pain.  It's probably not best on the Django forum to say
this but:

1. Any modern framework is fine (Cake/PHP, Django/Python, Merb/Ruby,
etc...)
2. Use a framework of some sort (don't just roll with 'Java' without
some sort of web-specific framework for your needs)
3. Any real database will work (i.e. Access will not do and should not
be used for any web application ever - SQL Server is an amazing
database if you're stuck in a Windows only environment and there is
cash to throw around).

What really matters is:

1. Comfort level of the developers who will be working on the product
with whatever framework
2. Comfort level of the systems administrators and the rest of the
organization who will be supporting it after you leave

Finally:

1. Django is just a front end for Python.  Places using Python include
Nasa.  It is also a standard language in all modern UNIX systems -
which says alot about how solid it is and how it's here to stay.

-Adam