Dear ALL,

I am very much interested in using a HTML to fire off a data
processing script to run over the internet.

I will be very grateful if you can advise me on passing parameters
from an HTML form to a script and fire the script off to carry out
full execution, monitor its progress and return an innerHTML with link
(a name string of) the file generated back to allow user to download
the result.

The script run over a period of 2 to 3 minutes.

Necessary are  the following steps:
* user submits data to the server from a web page using an HTML form;
server redirects the browser to a status page that says "script is
running";
* in the background, the server fires off a worker script that does
the job; the server monitors the script to see when it's done (this
monitoring can be tied to the status page: when the user reloads the
status page, the server looks at the script to check if it's done);
* user refreshes the page (or the page refreshes itself) until script
is finished, and the page says "script finished; here are the results"
* some kind of cleanup of data, either with a cron job or manually by
the user

Regards.

Shao