On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Guy Rutenberg <guyrutenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started using Django recently and when I've used the auth module
> I noticed that it only verifies a plain text password. I'm not
> comfortable with this behaviour as it means that passwords have to be
> sent by login forms in plain text.

Actually in contrib.auth passwords are stored in SHA1. If you mean
that passwords are sent in plain text "over the network" then you
should use https.

>>> from django.contrib.auth.models import User
>>> User.objects.get(pk=1).password
u'sha1$a0052$51520b2de8cf5aab6d8fc5bf5e7d09801376031a'

Maybe you are confused because User has a method "check_password" that
receives a parameter in plain text, but before the check your password
is hashed.

M.