On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Graham Dumpleton <
> graham.dumple...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Curse is no longer running on Django(it's ASP.net now I think), no idea
>> if
>> > that was a technical decision or not.
>>
>> If it using ASP.net, maybe that is why none of their addresses respond
>> to me from where I am. :-)
>>
>> Curse was using mod_python:
>>
>>  http://www.davidcramer.net/curse/44/what-powers-curse.html
>>
>> David Cramer though has since switched to mod_wsgi and has expressed
>> the opinion that mod_wsgi works a lot better.
>>
>> Important think though is not so much the hosting mechanism but how
>> well you optimise the performance of your application and database.
>>
>> Graham
>>

> David also did a good talk on scaling Django(based on his experiences at
> curse) at DjangoCon, the video is on youtube.
>
> Alex

As far as DBs go we are scaling MySQL quite hard. If you ensure you have the
tools to support it you can use circular replication with Linux-HA to
provide a single IP address that the app connects to. You can also scale out
Apache with Linux-HA in this way. We've found that it's very hard to scale
asp.Net/SQL platforms out but using Linux with HA it's very cheap and easy.