Could someone give me a hand with a very simple ajax problem?  I want
to post some data and have the server just return a small snippet of
html, which I then want to insert into my dom at a particular id.

Let's say the html snippet to be returned is just a string: <p>hello
world</p>.

Does my views.py function just return it like this?

    return HttpResponse("<p>hello world</p>")

I have some jquery on client side that is just trying trying to have
the callback function throw the returned snippet up in an alert box,
like this:

            <input type="submit" onclick="$(.post({% get_my_url %}, $
('id_comment').val(), function(data) { alert(data);});  return false;
" />

I find that I never hit my callback function (the alert(data)).
Instead the browser just replaces my with a page containing

Could someone give me a pointer as to what I'm doing wrong?

Margie