On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 16:23 +0100, Oli Warner wrote:
>         FUD. You just think it is slow and inefficient because you
>         have never
>         configured it correctly.
>
> Analogy time. Gather round, children.
>
> You buy a car. The dealer said it can do 0 to 60mph in five seconds
> and does 80 miles per gallon. You buy it for these reasons but when
> you receive it and test it, you find you can't even get to 60mph and
> you're only getting 10 miles per gallon.
>
> You read the manual and find that in order to get optimum figures, you
> have to spend a few hours under the bonnet, completely out of your
> comfort zone, tweaking it to your consider your height, weight and
> shoe size. You're not a mechanic. You don't want to be a mechanic.
>
> That's what we're talking about here. Sure Apache can do amazing
> things but as a web developer, I'd much rather spend time developing
> web apps than learning and maintaining the platform.
>
> Cherokee by default it's a lot lighter and helps you create complex
> scenarios quickly and fuss-free.

To stick with your analogy, it actually *is* like buying a car and being
surprised you don't get 0-60 in 5 seconds and 80 mpg, but only because
you will only drive it in second gear. And then you blame the dealer..

>From the way you talk about Apache, you are fearful of it, because you
don't know how to use it correctly, you are uncertain of how to
configure it correctly, and you are doubtful that it will do it's job
properly even if it was configured properly. It is classic FUD.

Millions and millions of websites do run quite nicely on Apache, and we
don't spend a lot of time configuring Apache to make it do so. I'm not
saying that Cherokee or Tornado or any other web stack isn't fast, just
that any FCGI/WSGI container will do pretty much the same job in pretty
much the same manner, with pretty much the same results, especially when
the FCGI/WSGI app it is connecting to is something reasonably heavy,
like django can be.

Cheers

Tom