On Thu Dec  3  8:42 , Todd Blanchard <tblanch...@mac.com> sent:

>I've read the little poem.  I disagree with about half of it.  If you can't
>take
constructive criticism of your toolkit (I have plenty negative to say about
rails
and any of the other dozen web app development environments I know too) then you
should maybe put down the kool-aid and walk away.  No environment is perfect.

You are welcomed to disagree with it, all of us hackers view things differently.
That said, understanding what Tim is saying will help you understand Python and
the people who use it. Most of us agree with most of Tim's points. I believe
this
was mentioned not to tell you to walk away, but that you should learn to use the
tools as intended instead of forcing a screw driver to be a chisel.

Maybe the standard Rails URLs make sense to you. But I suspect many if not most
of the Django projects actually do not have URLs that directly bind to their
internals. Remember it grew up out of reporting where the URLS are dictacted by
other people or even how stories are organized. There is a lot of flexibility in
any URL can go anywhere you want.

Here is the page on Amazon for Learning Python:
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Python-Animal-Guide-Mark/dp/0596158068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259864161&sr=8-1

That does not map to model/view/blah directly. When amazon decides to use
/books/Oreilly/Python/dp/0596158068 they can and only by adjusting urls.py and
maybe their views indirection routine.

Sure, mapping things directly to code and models is fast for initial
development.
But real websites do not exist to make the hackers happy. They exist to get
ideas
out to people who probably have no idea how a website is run, and yeah maybe
make
some money at the time. Simple urls like 'http://example.com/xmas/toys' do not
come from convention. Now, you may point out that this would be a special
holiday
thing and easily to add. You'd be right, but the "use pretty URLS" concept is a
driving force behind Django. Giving people simple URLs they can type in, see on
billboard, etc. are the main driving force, not some last minute requirement
from
Marketing.

Ponder this, consider why Django does what it does. Look at where and who the
focus is. You are free to disagree and do it some other way. But don't assume
Django has somehow missed this or chosen not to because the developers just like
to waste their time typing.