On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:28:23AM -0800, Tim Daniel wrote:
> David, Celery sounds really good, thanks for the tip, I'll have a
> deeper look into it as soon as I've got some time, if I can't get it

> one question: Is it capable of running on every web server
> that supports Python?

Well, it's kind of independent of the web server bits: In principle, one could
use celery plus django orm for some project that doesn't involve any web serving
at all (celery still depends on django-as-an-orm-layer-and-stuff, but not
django-as-a-web-application-server). See:
http://ask.github.com/celery/faq.html#can-i-use-celery-without-django

So it's really "where can celery run". Unix/Linux/MacOSX and probably Windows
servers where you have shell and the ability to kick off a celeryd daemon, sure.
I'd be less clear on strange setups where django itself or parts of
django can be coaxed into working for some value of working ("cloud" stuff,
jython...).

> or are there any other requirements or things to
> think about?

Well, the message queue and carrot (the binding to the message queue celery
sits on top).
The message queue is a service you will have to run. It's easier than it may
sound
if on on linux, since rabbitmq is probably in your distro repository. and celery
can be easy_installed, pulling in carrot.

("rabbit" probably explaining the rabbit-food naming theme...)

(Once you have the message queue and carrot available, you may also find them
useful in themselves for tieing stuff together
http://ask.github.com/carrot/introduction.html#examples )

Oh yeah, other thing:
If you're using python <2.6, you'll need to use the python multiprocessing
backport, and you currently have to watch out for an annoying bug - if you
naively
install what is still the current release, you'll
get one with the bug, either use an earlier or patched version.
http://github.com/ask/celery/issues/closed/#issue/24
http://code.google.com/p/python-multiprocessing/issues/detail?id=18
(I wish they'd do another release...)
http://code.google.com/p/python-multiprocessing/issues/detail?id=21