On Jan 12, 2010, at 8:04 AM, Gonzalo Delgado wrote:

> I'm facing similar requirements and came across this app:
>
>    http://packages.python.org/django-authority/
>
> but haven't tried it out yet.

Well, I just read most of the docs, and it looks like this won't work for our
requirements. It might do what Tim wants, depending on how much he wants to
modify his code. My problem with this project is that the developers have to
add a bunch of authority-checking  to every piece of code that touches the
models. I want something more like "logical delete," which allows vanilla
Django syntax and does its thing in the background. For example, if I do a
queryset lookup, I don't want to filter out the results based on permissions --
I want just the allowed results returned.

To give a small analogy: I've replaced the @login_required decorator in our
application with a piece of middleware, which explicitly allows the
"unprotected" stuff (like the login page). This protects us from a developer
accidentally failing to add the @login_required decorator. The same should go
for our models; no client should *ever* be able to see  another client's data
because a developer failed to add a permissions check.

Shawn