> I'm no expert on web applications, and have a couple of questions
> about Djanjo:
>
> 1. What are the advantages of using a framework like Django over
> writing the same type of database-driven in PHP?

You are comparing a development framework (Django) to a programming language
(PHP). A better comparison would be Django to a PHP based framework like Zend
Framework, Symfony, CakePHP OR the languages Python to PHP and the answer then
would depend on a variety of things, starting with your existing experience of
either language, what you are trying to do, etc.

> 2. Is Django domain-agnostic, or are there applications for which it's
> a better idea to use something else? The reason I ask is that the
> Wikipedia article says: "It was originally developed to manage several
> news-oriented sites for The World Company[3] of Lawrence, Kansas".
> I'm concerned that Django might be mostly thought for presenting
> articles, and might not be very suitable for web apps that are more
> interactive.

It is a general web application framework, but wether it is suitable "web apps
that are more interactive", depends on what you mean by "interactive". You
should get a good idea of how much you can do with Django here:

http://www.djangosites.org/

Cheers,

Nick