I'll only reply to (2): Django is very suitable for web apps. I'm
building one and I've never felt limited in any way. Django lets you
write your own templates, so adding heavy ajax interfaces is painless.
I can't give you pointers because it's a custom in-house thing, but
it's close to 30k lines of python + html/js. The main focus is CRM and
document management.

Hope it helps.
Philippe