DG, what you describe is the AJAX approach. I'd use jQuery to help
with this sort of thing. use jQuery.post()
you would have to define a url to handle the post request and a view
function to pass it to. from the view function, you could return an
HttpResponse() with the confirmation bit of html or a failure string.
then in the callback function of the jQuery.post(), you could take the
returned data and display it however you wanted.

-John