> On Feb 10, 2016, at 6:37 PM, Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss
> <dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:
>
> John Levine wrote:
>
>> How is this different from everyone's favorite alleged mailing list
>> solution?
>>
>> From: Foo list on behalf of Jane Smith <f...@list.org>
>> PS: well, other than it's a little more explicit about where the
>> responsibility lies
>
> That is the difference.
>
> I'd prefer:
>
>    From: Foo list [Jane Smith] <f...@list.org>
>    CC: Jane Smith <j...@smith.org>
>
> as "on behalf of" is a little too verbose but, yes, making sure that the
> distinction remains generally visible without:
>
> - becoming extremely inconvenient (private replies become impossible because
> the author's email address is missing), or
> - violating the principle of least astonishment[1] (wait, the list operator
> caused my private reply to be routed through his mail-server?)

Given that the important identifier is often the email address (“Which Bob are
you?”, “Who is your employer?”) I think that any approach that intentionally
obscures the actual author in that way is less than ideal.

From: Steve Atkins st...@blighty.com <f...@list.org>

or

From: Steve Atkins st...@blighty.com <steve=blighty....@dkim.fail>

or

…

(with Reply-To: to the actual author, ideally, but a Cc: is OK for those who
have an irrational hatred of that)

Cheers,
  Steve