Thanks, Brandon for filing the bug. I'll offer the following for
consideration...

We, internet service operators, must categorically stop referring to domains
levels (first, second, third, etc.) and instead evaluate based on the public
suffix of any given domain. The Public Suffix List [0] allows us to do just
that.

The US. zone is not strictly a two-level domain, although many two and three
level domains exist. In fact, a vast majority of the "independently
authoritative" zones are at the second level but many others exist at the third
and fourth levels. RFC1480 provides some historical context about where 3 & 4
level names exist.  Essentially, the two characters postal abbreviation for a
state marks the boundary. The third level domains, under the "second level"
state code, can be registered independently.

For example, lib.mi.us. is deligated to Merit Network and royal-oak.mi.us. is
deligated to MultiParadigm. Both organizations offer fourth level registrations
of their respective zones.

tln.lib.mi.us. is registered and used by The Library Network independent of all
other fourth level lib.mi.us. domains. At the same time, ci.royal-oak.mi.us. is
registered and used independently by The City of Royal Oak, MI.

If DMARC specifies that we should "ignore TLDs"; it should most certainly be
interpreted as "ignore public suffixes" as the definition of "top-level" is
contextual.

 - - Mitchell

[0] https://publicsuffix.org/