Strictly following the SPF RFC would require rejecting the message as a
PERMERROR without even analyzing the mechanisms.

After retrieving records, the first check is check_host to evaluate the
record itself -

The syntax of the record is
   validated first, and if there are any syntax errors anywhere in the
   record, check_host() returns immediately with the result "permerror",
   without further interpretation or evaluation.

After that, individual terms begin being evaluated.

A lot of systems are configured in a more relaxed way and if the syntax of
the record is correct and only an individual mechanism has an issue, they
won't permerror unless they hit that mechanism because they haven't yet
passed and completed the check.  It seems the system in question is likely
being more specific.

In the end, it's probably not a major issue.  You have resolved the error
in the record, and that message didn't fail DMARC, it passed DMARC on the
DKIM portion.

--
Todd Weltz, Software Developer
twe...@agari.com  l M: 416.471.8633 l www.agari.com