Franck Martin writes:

 > The changes in mailman to handle DMARC came from people involved
 > with DMARC.org.

Not all of them.  The "message-wrapping" suggestion was mine (at least
I invented it independently and was an early public proponent), and it
was implemented by Mark Sapiro AFAIK.  A From-corrupting patch was
provided by DMARC.org, but final integration and of course release
management was provided by Mark Sapiro.  Other From-corrupting patches
have been proposed, including one provided by John Levine (not yet
implemented in a released Mailman, but obviously Mark will be involved
in that).

None of these patches have been ported to Mailman 3 yet.  That sounds
like a possible use for Yahoo! and DMARC.org funds, although we don't
have organizational infrastructure to manage external funding now.

 > So we cared.

Nobody has denied that DMARC consortium members have put some effort
into developing mitigation strategies.  Nevertheless, I describe
reasons why that effort (and Yahoo!'s offer of financial support) may
be properly characterized as *negligible* in my response to Tim
Draegen.  (N.B. I don't claim the argument has broader applicability
than the GNU Mailman project.  For us, the contribution of DMARC
consortium members has been net negative.  Sorry, Franck.  Feel free
to poll the other Mailman developers if you disagree; I admit my
strong feelings on the matter may cause bias.)

 > I recall clearly, you did not want to see any change happening so
 > you could reinforce your conspiracy theory.

That happens not to be the case.  Conspiracy theories abound on the
Mailman lists (especially Mailman-Users), it's true, but John was not
the source.  John's account of decision-making at the freemail ESPs is
substantially the same as the rationale you have repeatedly presented
yourself (a "push the panic button" response to a concentrated spam
attack).

 > While the mailman developers are not happy on the current solutions
 > and are looking for better solutions, they are at the same time
 > happy to had one, when yahoo did the DMARC policy change, and
 > quickly extended on the possibilities based on the experience they
 > had before Yahoo did the policy change.

Indeed we are *not* happy, and yes we did respond as quickly as
possible to the *denial of service* experienced by many list
subscribers, not restricted to the denial of service imposed by Yahoo!
and AOL on their own subscribers.  However, my wrapping suggestion had
already been implemented, so the DMARC.org From-corrupting setting was
not the only mitigation available (both became available in version
2.1.16).

And we remain unhappy, not least because list operators are unhappy.
The configurations are somewhat tricky and not understood at all by
most list operators -- they follow recipes that are appropriate for
common cases, but may conflict with unusual settings.  The requirement
by some mitigations that Mailman access the DNS in order to apply them
only to "p=reject" posters (which is frequently mentioned by list
operators requesting help) introduces substantial additional
complexity.  This is going to be an ongoing burden for the project, I
fear.

 > Now, while mailman has some solutions, it is in the recent versions
 > and many people are still running old versions of mailman and
 > upgrading or patching for them is difficult. So saying people do
 > not know how to fix things is perfectly valid too.

That's misdirection.  We know one simple and guaranteed fix for the
problem, and it is trivial to implement: domains providing mailboxes
for personal use (including sending as a mailbox user of that domain
from a different one, transfers that modify Content-Transfer-Encoding,
mailing lists, use of on-behalf-of content distribution services, and
so on) should stop publishing DMARC policies with "p=reject".  There
appear to be two of them, they can do this in 5 minutes, and the
problem will be completely eliminated within a day or so.

That is not the only solution, but it really should be on the table,
despite the additional costs of spam and spam-fighting those ESPs may
suffer.  I don't expect them to follow it any time soon, but that's no
reason why we should sanction their current policy.  We can condemn
the policy and implement rational countermeasures at the same time.

I support adding your "conditions for legitimate use of 'p=reject'" to
the DMARC-base document, for example.  I have no hope that DMARC.org
will acquiesce, of course.

 > Time to stop these non-technical threads

These threads are input to the BCP process, at the very least.  In any
case, "p=reject" cannot be treated as a "technical" problem since the
damage it does affects third parties who are not party to the DMARC
protocol.

 > and focus on making email more secure by providing solutions for
 > people to choose from.

I've made the lists used by my students more secure (against denial of
service) by filtering "p=reject" domains.  As it happens, *all* of my
users agree that is the appropriate solution for us (the Yahoo! users
didn't even think about fighting before switching, they already had
GMail addresses).  Of course I hesitate to recommend that policy to
anybody else, but it *is* technically simple, and was the optimum
response in my case.

Regards,
Steve