On 6/9/2014 8:33 PM, J. Gomez wrote:
> On Sunday, June 08, 2014 6:52 AM [GMT+1=CET], Dave Crocker wrote:
>> Directives encased in standards that concern UI/UX design are
>> appropriate when there are empirical data to support them.
>
> Ok.
>
> Empirical data #1: web browsers[*] seem to be standardizing on displaying the
> address bar in green when the user goes to a web site with an Extended
> Validation SSL certificate.

Please forgive my having been unclear in what I meant.  I mean empirical
data about users, not about developers.  That is, there needs to be
evidence that what is being proposed has actual efficacy in user
behavior, not merely popularity amongst software developers (or their
managers.)

> Empirical data #3: users[*] seem to be accepting #1 in good terms.

"accepting" is an interesting word, since it refers to attitude, rather
than actual utility.

And then, of course, then there's the whole matter of needing external
references that objectively support the assertions you are making...

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking