Rich Kulawiec writes:

 > But that's not really relevant here.  The flooding propagation
 > model of Usenet is quite different from the model used by mailing
 > lists.

I'm not sure if it's been made clear already or not, but the Gmane
model (copied by the experimental Mailman add-on) is a NNTP network
per site (perhaps multiple lists), ie, a star topology.  I was not
suggesting that mailing lists become Usenet.

I was suggesting that NNTP would be an alternative transport to SMTP,
which might have fewer security issues.  Partly just because it's
obscure, but more fundamentally because *as a point-to-point
transport* it's a pull protocol, and so inherently less attractive to
spammers and phishers.  (That's based on zero careful analysis, so
feel free to give me a clue.  NB To me the point of this idea is that
in the medium term MLs may be able to avoid DMARC by avoiding SMTP,
which would reduce the need for this group to consider mailing lists.
Another protocol which has been proposed as an alternative transport
is IMAP4.)

For redundancy, of course groups of sites might find it useful to
federate in the manner of Usenet.  But that's not the point as far as
I am concerned.

Regards,