On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> wrote:
> On 6/8/2014 10:26 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>>

>>     To express how strong I feel about this....
>>
>>     If there is a charter for a new DMARC WG work, you can bet I will
>>     request that any form of 5322.From-Corruption concept be
>>     considered OFF TOPIC and OUT OF SCOPE in the new WG charter except
>>     to be aware of intentional From-Corruption is to be considered a
>>     new security exploit and threat to be mitigated. And for the
>>     record, I will also appeal any IETF work that begins to suggest
>>     From-Corruption concepts as a means to bypass security protocols.
>>     I will appeal it.
>>
>> Setting aside for the moment how premature this threat is given that
>> there's not even a skeleton charter under proposal right now,
>

> Its better to get this bud nipped now.

Yes, always best to act before thinking about the problem

Always best to make sure that the group considers only the problem it
is allowed to consider.

How can the IETF be a consensus organization if people are allowed to
block consideration of alternatives?

My understanding of the remit of this group is to consider what to do
about the DMARC situation.

The reason I proposed looking at changing the mailing list scheme is
that the DMARC 'discussion' consists of one group of folk saying 'we
have to stop this' and another pointing out that it has already
happened.

Most Internet users do not care whether mailing lists work or not. So
expecting them to accept tons of spam from criminals trying to cheat
them to preserve the equivalent of vinyl records is not going to
succeed. The Internet does not have a rule that the people who got
here first make the rules. There is a traffic jam in Cambridge/Boston
several times a day as the lifting bridge opens to let some plutocrat
sail his yacht through at rush hour. Several thousand people have to
wait half an hour to get to work for one person to enjoy their hobby.
I think that is a rotten and selfish way to run things.

So given the fact that DMARC is causing problems for mailing lists we
should not automatically assume that the solution is to change DMARC.

I think that this point is completely on topic for a pre-WG list that
is discussing ways to address a problem. Chances are that the
conclusion is going to be that NO DMARC WG is formed because the
people using DMARC are not interested in the changes that are going to
be proposed.

Mailing lists are not an optimal solution. They have high
administrative burdens, the mail they send is often caught in spam
filters because a mailing list is a bulk sender. These problems were
recognized when NNTP was designed. Though as Dave Crocker points out,
flood filling is hardly an approach we should endorse for the modern
Internet.

But given that we have the attention of Google and Yahoo here we do
have the critical mass that could make a major change in mailing list
technology stick. And it is to their interest to do so.

So I am not just proposing a better solution, I am proposing a
solution that has more chance of being adopted. Though since 'shut
DMARC down because we says to' is not going happen pretty much
anything has a better chance of deployment.