John R Levine writes:

 > d) Versions are cumulative.  Every signature that is a valid version N
 > signature is still a valid version N+1 signature, give or take the change
 > in the b= hash due to the version bump.

I think this is unnecessarily restrictive.  It's unnecessary because a
verifier that wants to handle multiple versions can always incorporate
a routine per version.  It's restrictive because a later version might
want to disavow an earlier version.

For example, v2 might REQUIRE that signatures enforce the RFC 5322
limit of one on From, To, Cc, and Message-ID, which would be
incompatible with v1 signatures that don't do so.  (Don't take that
example too seriously.  Use of "cumulative versions" requires
demonstrating nonexistence, or at least "nonimportance", of *any*
example of desirable incompatibility.)