Steven M Jones writes:
 > On 09/22/2014 03:17 PM, Josh Aberant wrote:

 > > > Who uses X-Original-From ?  This is a real question, I'm not
 > > > aware of anyone who does.
 > >
 > > At Twitter we use the X-Original-From to route our security
 > > tickets with users within our ticketing system Salesforce. Users
 > > can open and reply to tickets by emailing what is a Google Groups
 > > alias. Google Groups (takes ownership of the From per our
 > > #RejectPolicy) and then

I don't understand "our #RejectPolicy".  What are you talking about?
Surely not DMARC?  That reject policy would be related to the From
Domain of the user, not anything about Twitter.  Or do users use an
@twitter address for email they send?

 > > forwards those emails to Salesforce where they are automatically
 > > turned into support tix where we key off of the user's email
 > > address in the X-Original-From header.
 >
 > Interesting use case. Presumably the messages are flowing from Google
 > Groups to Salesforce over the Internet.

So what we have is

                  SMTP                         SMTP
Customer (Author) ---> Google Group (Mediator) ---> Twitter (Destination)

right?

 > However I would consider everything that happens after Salesforce
 > receives the messages as an application workflow.

Indeed.  But as long as these message don't leave the Twitter
workflow, I'd consider all of this a private protocol that isn't
really any of the IETF's business.

 > Messages the customer sees would be in-scope;

Not if they don't go back through the Google Group.  Nothing so far
suggests that they do, and the word "security" suggests that they do
not, to me anyway.

 > I'm not so sure about things happening between Google Groups and
 > Salesforce,

In scope.

 > or within Salesforce.

Not.

 > If we consider all the ways email messages are spindled, folded and
 > mutilated when they become part of an application workflow, I
 > expect we'd see an absolute explosion of additional weirdness...

Not our business, though.  Some of the specific mutilations may be,
but the whole collection surely is not.  We would consider specific
instances case-by-case.