On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> >1) Evaluate all the domains you find, and if any of them have published
> >DMARC policies, apply the strictest one ...
>
> Given the anti-phishing goals of DMARC, I don't see how anything else
> makes any sense.  Or you could skip a step, say that DMARC doesn't
> permit multi-address From headers, assume that validation failed on
> all of the domains and proceed directly to the punishment phase.

Right, that's also an option, and it at least accommodates the no-address
>From field that RFC6854 permits.

Another option I can think of is one where we just admit the conflict with
RFC6854 and observe that streams likely to be DMARC-protected don't use
this format, so if you see a multi-valued From where any domain has a DMARC
policy, it's invalid and the receiver should act accordingly.

For From: headers with address-free groups, recall that the motivation
> for this was EAI downgrades at delivery time.  The un-downgraded
> message had a normal From: header, so normal DMARC applies.  If the
> address is smashed in the downgrade I don't see any reason that the
> DMARC result needs to change.

I don't know much at all about EAI, but if the address is smashed, which
DMARC result could you possibly use?

-MSK