Clarification for Murray: An EAI message might arrive with an address like this:

 From: stuff <a...@bbbb.cccc>

where AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC are UTF-8 strings, and for extra excitement, AAAA includes characters not allowed in u-labels. You can easily do a DMARC check on this address by turning BBBB.CCCC, which have to be U-labels, into A-labels and do a normal DMARC check.

Non-EAI mail can't handle the AAAA, so one of the ways a message might be smashed for delivery might be this:

From: "international address a...@bbbb.cccc" :;

(You can use MIME encoding for the comment.)

So the address is gone, but the message remains, and the DMARC result might as well remain too. I agree this is pretty deep into nit-land, so my only real concern is that there not be langauge that forbids doing the obvious thing in this situation.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY