Hi, Murray,

On 11/11/2014 02:52 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
I've posted an update to the base draft, based on recent feedback from Ned and others. Hopefully I've resolved all of the concerns (especially the major ones), as the ISE would like to send the draft to the IESG for conflict review in the next day or two. It also has to begin formal review of its IANA Considerations section as soon as possible.

Thanks to all who provided recent comments to lead us to this version.

I started earlier this week a review of -05. Please find below my comments, I think most if not all of them also apply to -06. I didn't have time to finish my review, but thought to send my comments 'as is' (before -07 is published ;-)). Most of my comments are of type 'editorial nits', no big changes proposed ;-)

Regards,
/rolf

Abstract:

   This lack of cohesion has several effects: receivers have difficulty
   providing feedback to senders about authentication, senders
   therefore have difficulty evaluating their authentication
   deployments, and as a result neither is able to make effective use
   of existing authentication technology.

This focuses on the reporting function of DMARC, leaving out the policy part of it.

Suggested text:

   This lack of cohesion has several effects: senders have difficulty
   providing information about their use of an authentication policy
   and receivers have difficulty determining a disposition preferred by
   senders. Vice versa, mail receivers have difficulty providing
   feedback to senders about authentication, senders therefore have
   difficulty evaluating their authentication deployments, and as a
   result neither is able to make effective use of existing
   authentication technology.

Introduction:

   [...] mail receivers have tried to protect senders [...]

Suggested:

   [...] mail receivers have tried to protect senders and their own
   users/customers [...]

Starting with "DMARC allows domain owners and receivers to collaborate by", the terms 'domain owners', 'receivers', 'senders' and 'SMTP receivers', 'Mail Receivers', 'mail receivers' are used throughout the document. I'd suggest to add a definition of the term ' Mail Senders' to the introduction part of chapter 3 and then use only the terms as defined in 3., throughout the document. Suggested text for the term Mail Sender:

 * Mail Sender: the sender of mail with a domain for which the Domain
   Owner may have published a DKIM public key and/or an SPF
   authentication record and/or a DMARC policy;

(although we may want to not mention DKIM or SPF here).

2.2 Out of Scope

Add:

o    cousin domain attacks

3.1.2 Key Concepts

Last sentence: add a reference to this 'other referenced material'.

3.1.3 Flow diagram

The box titled 'User Mailbox' could give the impression that there's only one choice for delivery. However, quarantining can be done without delivery to a mailbox. I'd suggest to label this box 'rMDA'.

The part within parentheses of step 6:

6. Recipient transport service conducts SPF and DKIM authentication checks by passing the necessary data to their respective modules, each of which require queries to the Author Domain’s DNS data (when identifiers are aligned; see below).

might indicate that SPF and DKIM authentication checks need not be performed when identifiers are not aligned. However, for sake of reporting, SPF and DKIM authentication checks will in general always be done, or am I missing something?

3.1.4.1 DKIM-authenticated Identifiers

remove (or change) the 'Cousin Domain' example: it doesn't hold when a bad actor is signing the mail with d=cousindomain and RFC5322.From=localpart@cousindomain

4 Use of RFC5322.From

Last bullet (The DMARC mechanism ...). It seems the other bullets provide reasons why RFC5322.From is chosen while the last one does not. It looks to me as a circular reasoning.

5.2 DMARC URIs

It is not clear from the text what the report originator must do when the report payload exceeds the maximum size as indicated by the record. Should it not send anything, should it split up reports, should it notify the requester that there was a report exceeding the maximum size?

5.3 General Record Format

adkim and aspf do not provide a list of all possible options (like is done for fo and p). Of course it is pretty obvious that for 'strict' the 's' must be used, but it's not clear from the text.

Suggested edit:

   adkim: (plain-text; OPTIONAL, default is "r".) Indicates whether
   strict or relaxed DKIM identifier alignment mode is required by the
   Domain Owner.

   Possible values:

   r: relaxed DKIM identifier alignment mode required
   s: strict DKIM identifier alignment mode required

   See Section 3.1.4.1 for details.

and

   aspf: (plain-text; OPTIONAL, default is "r".) Indicates whether
   strict or relaxed SPF identifier alignment mode is required by the
   Domain Owner.

   Possible values:

   r: relaxed SPF identifier alignment mode required
   s: strict SPF identifier alignment mode required

   See Section 3.1.4.2 for details

Next, the P: and pct: tags: they show that (in hindsight) the policy part and the reporting part of DMARC might have been better off, when they were defined in different specs. Now we need to complicate the text to say that the policy tag p: is required, but not for third-party reporting records. And for pct, that it "MUST NOT be applied to the DMARC-generated reports". Well, I believe this has been discussed before, no need to redo this discussion.

I'd suggest to synchronize the short description of the tags in 5.3 with the descriptions of the tags in the table of 10.4 (now different terminology is used here and there, for example Requested Mail Receiver policy (5.3) and Requested handling policy (10.4). Suggested text in 5.3 becomes then:

   adkim: DKIM alignment mode (plain-text; OPTIONAL, default is "r".)
   Indicates whether [...]

   aspf: SPF alignment mode (plain-text; OPTIONAL, default is "r".)
   Indicates whether [...]

   fo: (leave as it is)

   p: Requested Mail Receiver Policy (plain-text; REQUIRED for policy
   records). Indicates [...]

   pct: Sampling rate (plain-text integer between 0 and 100, inclusive;
   OPTIONAL; default is 100). Percentage of messages [...]

   rf: Failure Reporting Format(s) (colon-separated plain-text list of
   values; OPTIONAL; default "afrf"). Format to be used for
   message-specific failure reports. [...]

   ri: Aggregate Reporting Interval (plain-text, 32-bit unsigned
   integer; OPTIONAL; default 86400). Indicates [...]

   rua: Reporting URI(s) for aggregate data (comma-separated plain-text
   list of DMARC URIs; OPTIONAL). Addresses to which aggregate feedback
   is to be sent. A comma or exclamation point [...]

   ruf: Reporting URI(s) for failure data (comma-separated plain-text
   list of DMARC URIs; OPTIONAL). Addresses to which message-specific
   failure information is to be reported. If present [...]

   sp: Requested Mail Receiver Policy for subdomains (plain-text;
   OPTIONAL). Indicates [...]

   v: Specification Version (plain-text; REQUIRED). Identifies [...]

and then change the corresponding table in 10.4 as follows:

   for p: use 'Requested Mail Receiver policy'
   for sp: use 'Requested Mail Receiver policy'.

Further suggestion for the table in 10.4: reverse the order of 'p' and 'pct' as 'p' is first discussed in the text of 5.3, before 'pct'.

Suggestion for 'ri': remove the normative language (MUST and SHOULD) as that might ask for a 'compliancy' section. Instead, move these suggested values to the BCP document.

5.6.2. Determine Handling Policy

Bullet 6 in combination with the introduction text might give the impression that the receiver MUST always follow the policy as published by the Domain Owner. Suggestion to replace the text:

   6. Apply policy. Emails that fail the DMARC mechanism check are
   disposed of in accordance with the discovered DMARC policy of the
   Domain Owner. See Section 5.3

with:

   6. Apply policy. Emails that fail the DMARC mechanism SHOULD be
   disposed of in accordance with the discovered DMARC policy of the
   Domain Owner. See Section 5.3

5.6.3. Policy Discovery.

This paragraph states that:

   If the RFC5322.From domain does not exist in the DNS, Mail Receivers
   SHOULD direct the receiving SMTP server to reject the message. The
   choice of mechanism for such rejection and the implications of those
   choices are discussed in Section 9.3.

Although this might be common practice (either by default MTA settings, or by configuration parameters set by many mail operators), I believe this informational RFC about DMARC cannot use normative language here to decribe what must be done with mail with a domain that is not present in DNS.

5.7 Last sentence:

   Mail Receivers SHOULD also implement reporting instructions of DMARC
   in place of any extensions to SPF or DKIM that might enable such
   reporting.

Not sure what this means. But it seems to me DMARC cannot claim priority over other options/extensions in other IETF protocols.