J. Gomez writes:

 > Why is it better for DMARC to be adapted to indirect email flows,
 > instead of indirect email flows to be adapted to DMARC?

Because they *can't* be adapted by definition.  DMARC "p=reject"
prohibits indirect mail, and "p=quarantine" sends it to the spam
bucket.

Or perhaps you're thinking of the same thing that Douglas is.  To him,
I suppose "adapting DMARC" includes third-party authorization
mechanisms.  I consider those actually to be "adapting DMARC" because
they require participation of the first party.

YMMV, you may consider that "adapting indirect mail" because often it
will be initiated by the 3rd party applying for authorization.
However, several proposals have been made for limited authorization by
mailbox owners who can't actually change the DMARC policies of the
authorizing domain.  These also require participation of the
authorizing domain but not necessarily the third party.  So I prefer
our interpretation that TPA is "adapting DMARC".

Steve