Michael Hammer writes:

> A person who used to be active in the email space once
> told me that the extent to which messages are placed in
> quarantine/junk/spam folders is a reflection of how well
> or poorly the systems evaluating the mail work. If it works
> really well then nothing should end up in quarantine /junk/spam
> folders.

The number of messages sorted as "not sure" is hardly the
best or only measure of how well the system works; to take
the above to an extreme, if I reject all mail, does my system
work perfectly?  ;-)

But yes, the ideal situation is where we sort every message
correctly and unambiguously.  Meanwhile...

Even if we grant that "p=quarantine is a problem WE cause",
the fact is that until we have a *good* solution for mailing
lists, most of us don't dare publish p=reject, which leaves us
with p=none, or no DMARC records at all.  Which means that (a)
many of us cannot benefit from using DMARC under the current
circumstances, and (b) many sites don't have the resources to
implement it yet, but we still have to deal with their mail.
I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
a...@encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285