On Mar 24, 2015, at 2:19 PM, Anne Bennett <a...@encs.concordia.ca> wrote:

> Michael Hammer writes:
>
>> A person who used to be active in the email space once
>> told me that the extent to which messages are placed in
>> quarantine/junk/spam folders is a reflection of how well
>> or poorly the systems evaluating the mail work. If it works
>> really well then nothing should end up in quarantine /junk/spam
>> folders.
>
> The number of messages sorted as "not sure" is hardly the
> best or only measure of how well the system works; to take
> the above to an extreme, if I reject all mail, does my system
> work perfectly?  ;-)
>
> But yes, the ideal situation is where we sort every message
> correctly and unambiguously.  Meanwhile...
>
> Even if we grant that "p=quarantine is a problem WE cause",
> the fact is that until we have a *good* solution for mailing
> lists, most of us don't dare publish p=reject, which leaves us
> with p=none, or no DMARC records at all.  Which means that (a)
> many of us cannot benefit from using DMARC under the current
> circumstances, and (b) many sites don't have the resources to
> implement it yet, but we still have to deal with their mail.
> I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Mailing lists are only an issue if the domain owner of the
email addresses of the participants have published a
DMARC p=reject record, despite having actual users who
are legitimate source of email that fails authentication.

That's a small enough set of domains at the moment (I can think
of about five) that there are several obvious solutions for mailing
lists - a blacklist of DMARC records to treat specially would be
the simplest, though something more nuanced might be better.

Cheers,
  Steve